Lymphatic Drainage Therapy (LDT) is a hands-on method of lymph drainage. the lymphatic system belongs to the circulatory system. It provides one way for the blood to leave the heart, the arterial system and two ways for it to return-the venous and lymphatic pathways. The proper functioning of the lymphatic system is critical to our body’s ability to drain fluids, detoxify, regenerate tissues, filter out toxins and foreign substances and maintain a healthy immune system. if lymph circulation stagnates, toxins accumulate and cellular functions are compromised, opening the way to numerous physical ailments. LDT can prove beneficial in the correction of numerous conditions, as well as a useful tool in preventative health maintenance.
The positive results that may be achieved using LDT include:
- Stimulation of fluid circulation to improve edemas (swelling) of numerous origins
- Absorption of toxins and deep cleansing of the body to promote detoxification, regeneration of tissues from burns and scars (pre- and post- surgical), rejuvenation, anti-aging effects, reduction in the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and firbromyalgia, release of body adhesions and alleviation of wrinkles.
- Stimulation of the immune system for preventive health maintenance as well as relief of chronic and sub acute inflammations and conditions such as sinusitis, acne, eczema and allergies.
- Absorption of fat molecules to alleviate adipose and cellulite.
- Deep relaxation and rhythmic effects to help in cases of insomnia, stress, depression, loss of vitality and loss of memory (sympatholytic effects).
- Stimulation of the parasympathic nervous system to relieve chronic pain.
- Antispastic actions (spasm relief) for conditions such as muscle hyertonus or constipation.
Hands on Physical Therapy and Advanced Massage Therapy is proud to offer lymphatic drainage. Myofascial release addresses the lymphatic system in a more general way, however, Lymphatic Drainage Therapy provides a more fine-tuned, direct approach. We have always prided ourselves in providing the very best for our patients and expanding our skill level is part of our ongoing commitment to our patients.
Lymphatic Drainage Therapy is a very subtle technique which will allow your therapist to easily integrate it into daily treatment. You may not even notice the different technique…..or you may. however, you may see significant changes in the outcome of your future treatments.
To add to the fun ….hot stone massage offered through Advanced Massage Therapy, will also affect the lymphatic system. consider this gift to yourself or a loved one…..hot stones combined with MFR and LDT-that is no ordinary massage!!!!
Jody Hendryx, PT